The American dream is far from being achieved. The system is not favorable for individuals with low income. According to statistics, 34 million Americans are living in poverty while 552 840 are homeless. That being said, not all homeless people are drug addicts. Some work as Uber drivers, secretaries, cleaners, and computer technicians. The cost of housing does not allow them to rent. Generally, the average rent price for a one-bedroom apartment is $1,216.
Interesting things about homelessness
- 40% of the homeless male population are veterans, while 8% are women. Army career is a significant factor in homeless. The system does not establish a structure to help military people.
- A homeless person has a life expectancy of 50 years.
- Overall, 13,000 homeless people die every year.
- 42% of homeless children identify themselves as LGBT. Youth turn to the streets after conflict with parents.
- 39.8% of the homeless population are African American, while 48% are white.
- 25% of homeless people have a mental illness.
- 38% and 26% of homeless abuse alcohol and drugs, respectively.